From awe-inspiring, soaring peaks to vast plains teeming with wildlife to spellbinding forests, Africa is a treasure trove of exhilarating, enlightening, jaw-dropping adventures — and it offers some of the most challenging terrain to get you fit. This mesmerizing, 21-day tour takes you through Uganda and Tanzania, up Kilimanjaro and down the river Nile. And while you marvel at the sites, our dedicated personal trainers will ensure you get the workout and nutrition you need to return from your African experience in peak physical condition.
Our list of African adventures includes:
• Gorilla watching in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
Listed as a must-see place by National Geographic magazine, Bwindi is one of the richest ecosystems in the world. In addition to interacting with the park’s famed, endangered gorillas, you will conquer a 5-8 hour trek, keeping your eyes peeled for the stunning array of colorful birds, exotic mammals, spectacular butterflies and indigenous plants that call this jungle home.
• Wildlife safari on the Serengeti Plain
Experience the Serengeti ecosystem that hosts the largest concentration of wildlife on Earth, brimming with around 70 species of mammals and more than 3 million birds. This is the home of the circular Great Migration, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Each year, between January and March, over a million wildebeest travel from the southern plains, where they give birth, north to the Mara River and back. To add to the spectacle, about 260,000 zebra and hundreds of thousands of gazelles, lions, cheetahs and hyenas, also make the journey. You will have a chance to witness these great sights by plane, 4×4 and on foot.
• Climbing and trekking on Mount Kilimanjaro
Walk in the footsteps of legends as you explore Mount Kilimanjaro. Take in its cultivated foot slopes; its lush mountain forest inhabited by elephants, leopards and buffalo; and its moorland zone, covered with gigantic heather and studded with lobelias. Prepare for the unparalleled experience of summiting Kibo, the mountain’s highest peak, 5,895 meters above sea level pushing your fitness level further.
• White-water rafting on the River Nile
Test your fear levels while rafting down the world’s longest river and explore the famous Victorian “source of the Nile.” Here the Nile flows out of Lake Victoria to begin its 6,650 km journey to the Mediterranean.
• Mafia Island experience
Relax and enjoy the island’s world-famous deep-sea fishing and scuba dive among the mystifyingly beautiful coral formations. Gaze in wonder as giant sea turtles lumber up the beach to lay their eggs in the white coral sands of the island’s famous breeding grounds.
You’ll stay in a variety of comfortable and stylish lodges, enjoy luxury camping in a manner previously only experienced by royalty on the Serengeti Plain, and bed down in tents while trekking on Mount Kilimanjaro. Our chefs and nutritionists will oversee gourmet, healthy and location-appropriate dining experiences to tantalize your taste buds and optimally fuel your body.
• Arrive at Entebbe International Airport, met by our representative
• Transfer to Jinja via a 3- to 4-hour, lake-front drive. On arrival at Jinja you will board a small, oar-powered canoe, bound for the island and Wildwaters Lodge
• White water rafting on the Nile
• Overnight at Wildwaters Lodge
• Choose one of our optional half-day activities: white water rafting, bungee jumping, jet boat rides, African Queen Steamboat cruise or quad biking
• Drive to Entebbe for dinner
• Overnight stay at the exotic Boma Guest House
• Leave hotel for 10-minute drive to Entebbe International Airport
• Board 7:45 am flight to Kisoro Airstrip, arriving at 9:00 am
• 2-hour drive to Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge for lunch
• Relax at your lodge or experience a nature walk in the park or a community walk
• Overnight stay at Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
• Gorilla tracking in Bwindi Forest National Park!
• Overnight at Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
• 2-hour drive to Kisoro Airstrip for the scheduled flight departing at 9:30am and arriving at 11:55am in Entebbe Airport
• Upon arrival at Entebbe, check in for your scheduled service flight to Serengeti Kogatende Airstrip where you will be met by the dmAFRICA driver guides who will drive you to the dmAFRICA Mobile Classic Camp with game viewing en route
• Breakfast at the dmAFRICA Classic Mobile Camp
• Embark on a full day of game activities in the Serengeti National Park. Your meals and overnight stay will be at dmAFRICA Classic Mobile Camp
• Transfer to Kogatende Airstrip to connect with the scheduled flight to Arusha departing at 10:00am and arriving at 12:15pm
• Arrive into Arusha Airport and transfer to Shangazi House, stopping along the way at Shanga River House for lunch
• Dinner at Shangazi House
• Briefing and gear check at Shangazi House by your Mount Kilimanjaro guide
• Overnight at Shangazi House
• Depart from Shangazi House at 8:30 am by private transfer, which will take about 3 hours to drive to the Rongai gate
• Begin the 3- to 4-hour walk to the first camp. The walk is at a leisurely pace through fields and then into the rain forest
• Arrive at your camp set in the heather, settle into your mess tent and relish a hot meal
• Continue your ascent of Mount Kilimanjaro
• Descend straight to the gate (5 to 6 hours), where you will be awarded climbing certificates
• Picnic lunch
• Private transfer to Arusha Airport to connect with your private C208 13-seater aircraft charter flight, departing at 15:30 arriving at 18:30
• Upon arrival you will be met by a private transfer to Kinasi Lodge
• Overnight at Kinasi Lodge
• Relax and recover while relishing what you have just achieved!
• Scuba dive, fish or relax on the beach
• Breakfast at Kinasi Lodge
• Private transfer to Mafia Airport and fly to Dar es Salaam on the domestic scheduled flight departing at 10:45 am arriving at 11:15pm. If the group wishes to stay later, private charter can be arranged for a supplement. On arrival, meet your private transfer to the International Terminal to connect with your flight home
Each package is 20 Nights All inclusive.
Fitness Adventure Travel combines successful fitness with exotic, intriguing destinations. Whether you request a specifically tailored itinerary, or choose one of our set departures, you can look forward to a completely exhilarating and bespoke experience.